Grateful for family
November is National Adoption Awareness Month, and so we focus on gratitude for the fulfillment of our most basic need—the love of a family. In keeping with that focus, we place on your heart the need for the many children in our local foster care system to be adopted and find the love of Jesus through a family.
Tracy and Kendra Nelson already had a beautiful family, including daughters Bailey, Kadence and Ava, yet felt compelled to offer hope to more children by beginning to foster in January 2015. After two years of fostering their son Donovan, the Nelsons adopted him, and are now fostering young James.
CSpotlight: What led you to the choice to foster and adopt?
Nelsons: Tracy and I have always had a passion for children. Once we realized how strong of a need there was in our own area we decided to get involved and do our part to help make a difference.
CSpotlight: How has the addition of new, wonderful children impacted your family?
Nelsons: It has been very challenging at times, but also very rewarding. It has opened our eyes to how grateful we are for the life we have.
CSpotlight: What are each of you thankful to God for?
• Tracy – I am thankful to have a family that supports us.
• Kendra – I am thankful that the life I have allows me the opportunity to help children of the foster care community.
• Bailey – I am thankful for the life I have!
• Kadence – I am thankful for my life, my family and nature.
• Ava – I am thankful for my mom and dad.
• Donavan – I am thankful for food.
• James – I am thankful for my life and that I get to relax.
Wish to foster or adopt? Foster the Love (see adjacent page) and others will come alongside you with support as they did for the Nelsons, with items/programs like their First Night Bag, and clothing available at their Community Foster Closet. Help out by donating or volunteering as the Nelsons did to be a part of changing lives.